CNNC promotes renewables in Hainan
China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) will put all its resources into promoting the construction of the second phase of Changjiang Nuclear Power Plant in Hainan province, as required by the Implementation Plan for the National Ecological Civilization Pilot Zone (Hainan), recently launched by the national government.
The plan highlights the importance of environmental improvements in Hainan province, as well as the need to efficiently utilize resources. Generating power from renewable sources of energy is also a priority for the province.
Changjiang Nuclear Power Plant, jointly financed by CNNC and China Huaneng Group, started construction in 2010. The project’s first phase involved the construction of two 650,000 kilowatt nuclear power generators which started operations in August 2016.
Now, the two nuclear power units provide more than 25 percent of the province's electricity and play an important role in Hainan's energy mix.
In 2017, CNNC and the Hainan Provincial Government signed a strategic cooperation agreement to promote the rapid and sustainable development of nuclear power and nuclear medicine in the province.
Meanwhile, CNNC will use its advantages in energy and technology and make a full contribution to the development of Hainan Free Trade Zone and the National Ecological Civilization Pilot Zone.
- China Institute of Atomic Energy
- Nuclear Power Institute of China
- Southwestern Institute of Physics
- China Nuclear Power Operation Technology Corporation, Ltd.
- China Nuclear Power Engineering Co., Ltd.
- China Institute for Radiation Protection
- Beijing Research Institute of Uranium Geology (BRIUG)
- China Institute of Nuclear Industry Strategy (CINIS)
- China Nuclear Mining Science and Technology Corporation