14 CNNC nuclear units tie for first place on WANO index
Qinshan nuclear power plants [Photo/CNNC]
A total of 14 nuclear power units of China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) received global recognition when they got full marks in the 100-point evaluation of the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) comprehensive index in the third quarter of 2020.
CNNC's power units are tied for first place globally, according to a recent announcement made by the association.
Tianwan nuclear power plant [Photo/CNNC]
The 14 units are units 1, 2, 3 and 4 at the Qinshan No 2 nuclear power plant, units 1 and 2 at the Qinshan No 3 nuclear power plant, units 1 and 2 at the Fangjiashan nuclear power plant, units 1 and 2 at the Tianwan nuclear power plant, units 1 and 3 at the Fuqing nuclear power plant and units 1 and 2 at the Hainan nuclear power plant.
The WANO performance index is an important index for measuring the safety level of nuclear power facilities globally. It displays nuclear power plants' performance status in terms of nuclear safety, power generation management, power plant equipment reliability, effectiveness and industrial safety in a quantitative manner. The index is used to monitor the operating status of nuclear power plants and identify areas for improvement.
A company spokesman said CNNC had always put safety as its top priority and is continuing to improve equipment reliability and its operators' capabilities.
The 21 units of CNNC that were evaluated got an average of 98.41 points on the WANO index.
Fuqing nuclear power plants [Photo/CNNC]
- China Institute of Atomic Energy
- Nuclear Power Institute of China
- Southwestern Institute of Physics
- China Nuclear Power Operation Technology Corporation, Ltd.
- China Nuclear Power Engineering Co., Ltd.
- China Institute for Radiation Protection
- Beijing Research Institute of Uranium Geology (BRIUG)
- China Institute of Nuclear Industry Strategy (CINIS)
- China Nuclear Mining Science and Technology Corporation