Karachi nuclear power plant's K-2 Unit starts fuel loading
The K-2 Unit of Karachi nuclear power plant in Pakistan [Photo/CNNC]
The K-2 Unit of Karachi nuclear power plant in Pakistan, the first overseas unit to use Hualong One (HPR100) technology, began fuel loading on Nov 28 (Pakistan local time), marking the unit's entry into the nuclear commissioning stage, and laying a solid foundation for subsequent criticality and grid-connected power generation.
The electric power generation of the K-2 and K-3 units is approximately 1.1 million kilowatts, and each unit will generate nearly 10 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity annually, bringing safe and clean energy to the Pakistani people.
The K-2 Unit of Karachi nuclear power plant in Pakistan begins fuel loading on Nov 28 (Pakistan local time). [Photo/CNNC]
The construction of the project has also promoted the development of related industries in Pakistan, providing more than 10,000 jobs for the local area.
Hualong One is an innovative third-generation pressurized water reactor with completely independent intellectual property rights, developed and designed by CNNC on the basis of more than 30 years of nuclear power research, design, manufacturing, construction and operation experience.
Hualong One, with a design life of 60 years, innovatively uses 177 fuel assemblies as reactor cores, which reduces its core power density and improves its design safety level.
At present, CNNC has six nuclear power units under construction at home and abroad using Hualong One technology, and the safety and quality of the construction projects are all under tight control.
- China Institute of Atomic Energy
- Nuclear Power Institute of China
- Southwestern Institute of Physics
- China Nuclear Power Operation Technology Corporation, Ltd.
- China Nuclear Power Engineering Co., Ltd.
- China Institute for Radiation Protection
- Beijing Research Institute of Uranium Geology (BRIUG)
- China Institute of Nuclear Industry Strategy (CINIS)
- China Nuclear Mining Science and Technology Corporation